If you’re a fan of slow and steady wins the race, then savings bonds are for you.
SECURE SAVINGS bonds IN ROANOKE, VA | LYNCHBURG, VA | SALEM, VA | VINTON, VA | BOTETOURT, VA | BEDFORD, VA AND BEYOND...
U.S. Savings Bonds are a safe, easy way to save money and a solid addition to your investment portfolio. Whether you select the newer I Bond or the Series EE Bond (details on each below), your money is guaranteed to grow and remain safe into the future.
Have paper U.S. savings bonds? You can still cash them in at Blue Eagle Credit Union. U.S. savings bonds are now available in electronic form and may purchased at treasurydirect.gov anytime. You will need to open a Treasury account, but it is free.
What's the difference between the I and EE series?
I Bonds are:
- Sold at face value
- Offer a rate of return over and above inflation
EE Bonds are:
- Sold at half their face value
- Earn rates based on five-year Treasury certificates
- Can be redeemed anytime after one year (effective February 2003)
Bonds in both series:
- Are available in denominations of $50, $75, $100, $200, $500, $1,000, $5,000, and $10,000
- Are exempt from state and local taxes
- Earn interest for up to thirty years
Learn more on the Treasury Department's website about Savings Bonds. You can also download the Savings Bond Wizard which helps you manage your Savings Bonds on your own PC. It's a program that allows you to maintain a printable inventory of your bonds, determine the current redemption value and earned interest, and other information.